Wednesday, September 2, 2015

One Sick Party

I reached the town Kord's been hiding out in and parked my motorcycle. I picked up my glave and started walking. As I did, I reached my mind out to keep track of any onlookers that might see me. It was early morning at the time, so not many people were out and about. The ones that were were pretty easy to fool. Just had to tweak their perception a bit and they didn't even notice the giant polearm I was packing. I then started listening for Kord.
He's gotten good at hiding his thoughts. His nature as a Grayskin allows him to create some mental background noise that makes it difficult to pick out his real thoughts. Difficult, but not impossible.
This time, he wanted to be found. So I was able to locate him pretty easily. I began walking toward him. He was in an alleyway, waiting for me.
“Your hair's getting longer,” He said, as I came into view.
“And yours is getting grayer,” I replied. “So where's this party?”
“I'll show you,” he replied.
We started walking, catching up on a few things as we did. It was a few minutes in that he said to me, in a low voice, “You've noticed them, right?”
His voice had an odd sound to it. He must have been using the Choir's power to limit his voices range, so that no one else would hear.
“Yes, I have,” I said. “They're doing a decent job staying hidden.”
Amongst the people I was tapped into to maintain  my glave's concealment, there were a few interesting ones. Their thoughts were full of things like “Better get milk” or “That's a neat looking rock” and all kinds of other miscellaneous thoughts which I normally wouldn't pay much attention to. But there were deeper thought beneath them. All those meaningless thoughts running through their heads were just to cover up what they were really thinking. I pushed my way into Kord's mind to tell him as much.
Are they hostile? He thought.
Looks like they're just spying for now, I thought back at him. But their intentions could change at any moment.
Can you throw them off? He thought.
At this next turn, I replied.
I dropped my illusion on everyone nearby so I could focus entirely on the spies. It meant that a few people would be able to see my weapon, but I had to risk it. I needed to focus for this. I concentrated on those few people, 4 in total, who were spying on us. As Kord and I came to the next corner and made a right turn, I altered their perception so that it looked like we were turning left. We continued another couple blocks in one way, while the illusions of us went the other. Then I had illusion-me open an illusionary portal, which both of the illusions stepped through.
Did it work? Kord thought.
I listened in on the true thoughts of the spies, who were now convinced that we had entered the Path Of Black Leaves.
They bought it, I thought. They think they've lost us.
I dropped my illusion entirely, giving my mind a rest. I continued listening in on the surrounding thoughts, in case there were more of them, or in case one of the earlier ones caught on to my trick.
They were using my thought hiding trick, Kord thought. But on a lesser scale.
They don't have the Choir backing them up, I thought. So they're not quite as good at it.
They must have some idea of how your powers work if they were clever enough to do that, Kord thought. Who do you think they work for?
I couldn't tell, I thought. They had those thoughts hidden pretty well, and I wasn't focused enough to go digging through.
We'd better keep a lookout for more of them, Kord thought. I nodded.
“We're here,” he said out loud.
We entered the place he had brought me to. I immediately gagged and covered my mouth and nose with my hand. The bodies had had some time to start stinking, and the sights weren't any more pleasant.
“I know,” Kord said. “Awful, right?”
“Oh yeah,” I said, pulling myself together.
“So I'll admit this is beyond what a Fear would do, but what makes you think daemons?”
“Mostly that,” he said, pointing to a far wall. I approached it, and found myself face to face with several symbols and words written in blood. They were in a language I didn't understand, but I spotted the words “Daemon”, “Death”  and “Blood” mixed in with them.
“And that,” Kord said, motioning to a crumpled piece of paper next to a ypung girls severed hand.
I picked it up and uncrumpled it. It was a torn page from a book. There word blood stains covering a lot of the words, but what I could make out told me enough. It was from a text on demonology.
“I know it doesn't confirm Daemon's for sure,” Kord said. “But with the Biker out there, bringing Hell to Earth, it's the biggest possibility I can think of right now. And the writing on the wall looks like pretty good evidence.”
“Yeah,” I said. “But there's one last thing I need to check.”
I approached the mutilated remains of a man. He was horribly maimed and beyond recognition.
“There something special about this one?” Kord asked me.
“You could say that,” I said. “Something horribly special.”
“What?” he asked.
“He's still alive,” I said.
“Are you serious?” Kord asked, sounding appalled.
“Barely,” I confirmed. “His body's on the verge of shutting down, but his brin is still kicking out signals. If I try to, I think I can get a look at his memories.”
“You sure you wanna see them?” Kord asked.
“Absolutely not,” I replied. “But it'll give me an idea of what we're dealing with here.”
Taking a deep breathe, I entered the man's mind, digging deep into his memories. I found what I was looking for, and immediately wished I hadn't. What I saw was at first a simple gathering. But then a man showed up. He seemed normal at first, conversing with the others and joining in the festivities. But then he attacked. Things turned almost to quickly for me to comprehend. The man changed. I'm sure I could find the words to describe it if I tried, but I don't think I want to. I severed the metal connection before the memory got too violent and I collapsed against the wall.
“The hell did you see?” Kord asked.
“You're right,” I told him. “That thing... I can't think of anything else it could possibly be. All this-”
I swept my arm across the room in a wide arc, gesturing to the entire gruesome picture.
“-was definitely done by a Daemon,” I finished.
“Shit,” Kord said. “So what are we gonna do?”
“Regroup with the others,” I said. “Make some calls. Think of a plan.”
“Okay,” Kord said, helping me to my feet. “What about this guy?”
I turned to the man. He was dying. And in pain. And if that weren't enough, he was reliving that entire experience that I didn't even had the stomach to view in its entirety. I couldn't leave him there like that. So I did the most merciful thing I could think of. I re-established the mental link, entering his mind once again. And I shut everything down.
“Let's go,” I said. “We've done all we can do here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment