Saturday, September 5, 2015

Revelry

“Yeah, I've heard of it,” David told me from the other end. “Must have been awful to see it up close.”
“Understatement,” I told him. “I don't suppose you know much about Deamons, do you?”
“Afraid not,” he replied.
“What about the Vision?” I asked. “Or that ghostly Grandpa of yours?”
“Haven't heard from either of them in a while,” David replied. “But if I can get in touch with Marshall any time soon, I'll send him your way.”
“Appreciated,” I told him.
“If I hear about any more murder parties, I'll let you know,” he said.
“Thanks,” I replied.
“If they're close enough, I'll check them out myself,” he said.
“You don't need to,” I told him.
“I will anyway,” he said.
I didn't respond to that. I'd rather him not subject himself to those sights, but it was his choice.
“Uh, as one ex-Proxy to another,” David began, “If you ever need to take a couple days of to relax, my door's-”
“I appreciate the offer,” I interrupted. “But the way things are looking, it may be a while before I can actually consider vacation days.”
“All right,” he said. “I'll let you know if I find anything.”
“Thanks,” I said.
My next call was to Estren.
“Hey,” I said.
“The Daemon Lord, right?” HELLFIRE asked. “That's why you're calling?”
For the record, Estren is possessed by a Dying Man shard named HELLFIRE. They have a mutualistic thing going on. I can tell which one of them is speaking due to some subtle changes in inflection and attitude when HELLFIRE takes over.
“Yeah,” I said. “How'd you now?”
“HELLFIRE thinks you're predictable,” Estren said, taking over for a couple seconds.
“Well, he is!” HELLFIRE retorted.
“Plus, we found you guys' blog,” Estren said. “We knew you'd call.”
I felt slightly offended that they would call me predictable, but I ignored it.
“So you think you can help me out?” I asked.
“You see, Estren,” HELLFIRE asked. “It told you that he wouldn't give us the satifaction of getting mad at us for calling him predictable.”
“Thus proving how predictable he is,” Estren agreed.
“Fuck both of you,” I said.
“Watch your mouth,” HELLFIRE said.
“So, HELLFIRE,” I said. “What exactly do you know about the Daemons?”
“Some stuff, but not everything,” HELLFIRE said. “For instance, I can't tell you which Daemon it is, but I can tell you that you're royally screwed if you meet him face to face.”
“That's very comforting,” I said.
“A sarcastic reply,” HELLFIRE said. “Like I said. Predictable.”
“Whatever,” I said.
“Knew you'd say that,” HELLFIRE said. “Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some Proxy's to deal with.”
“What are you gonna do to them?” I asked.
“Impale them,” He said. “Maybe disembowel a few. Behead some of them. Then set them on fire. And if I have the time I might piss on their ashes.”
“Okay, but remember not to swear!” I said. “Because swearing is bad!”
“Go to hell, O'Zalia,” HELLFIRE said, hanging up.
I called up Andrew next.
“Hello, Isaac,” he said, sounding disinterested and somewhat detached from the world.
“Hey, Andrew,” I said.
“Don't call me that,” he said. “What do you want.”
“Any information you might have on the birthday party gone wrong that's all over the news and whatever Daemon caused it,” I said.
“I'm afraid I can't help you,” he said. “I know nothing, the Convocation doesn't want any involvement in it, and I have my own assignment to deal with before I can look in on it myself. Not that I'd want to.”
“I miss the old you,” I sadi. “The old you wouldn't have stood for that kind of insane, unprovoked murder.”
He stayed silent for a couple of second.
“That man died with Malkator,” he said.
Then he hung up.
Next, I called Daniel.
“Sup,” he said.
“Hey, Daniel,” I said. “Shot in the dark, but do you know anything about Daemons?”
“Not a lot,” he said. “I think you'd have better luck with Tony. Want me to put him on?”
“Yes, please,” I said.
There was muffled talking on the other end before Daniel handed the phone to Tony.
“You need to know about Daemons, right?” he asked.
“Yeah,” I said. “One was involved in a grisly murder recently.”
“Tell me what you can about it,” Tony said.
I heard papers shuffling as he opened a book. Tony Helioson recently came to own a large book on demonology. I knew he'd be my best bet. I described the scene and the creature I saw in that man's memory as best as I could. I also told him about the symbols on the wall, and texted him some pictures that Kord took of them. Tony considered the information for a while before giving me his input.
“Alagarus,” he said. “One of the ten Daemon Lords.”
“Shit,” I said. “I was hoping it wasn't a Lord.”
“His title amongst the Lords is the Reveler,” Tony said. “He enjoys celebrations. Especially violent ones. If they're not violent enough, he changes that.”
“Sounds about right,” I said.
“Those are definitely his symbols,” Tony said. “And the party seems like his style.”
“Any advice you can give me on him?” I asked. “Like, weaknesses, or anything?”
“Sorry,” Tony said. “I can look into it a bit more, but I don't think I'll find any in this book. And I'd suggest you avoid throwing any big shebangs, unless you want him showing up uninvited.”
“What about Damien?” I asked. “You think he'd know how to kill a Daemon?”
“I wouldn't rule it out, but I wouldn't count on it either,” he said. “This is the Biker we're talking about. Aside from a common enemy, he has no reason to work together with any of us, and that's nowhere near enough for him.”
“You're right,” I said. “But still, I need whatever information I can get.”
“Good luck,” Tony said.
“Thanks,” I replied. “You too.”
“So, we have an idea who our man is now?” Kord, who probably wasn't eavesdropping on every word spoken, asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment